St Wilfrid's Church, Kirkharle, built in the 14th century in Decorated style, is the old parish church for the hamlets of Kirkharle, Harle and West Harle. Look out for 14th century stone basins (piscina) and recessed cupboards (aumbreys) and medieval seats in the wall (sedilia) of the chancel.
The church was restored in the early 15th century by William del Strother and improved in the 18th century by the Loraine family. There is a 15th or 16th century font rescued from All Saints' Church, Newcastle, now with shields of old Northumbrian families.
A plaque commemorates that the famous landscape gardener Capability Brown was baptised here in 1716. Visit Kirkharle Courtyard to learn more about Capability Brown. Church Services are usually on the first Sunday of the summer months at 11am. Access Kirkharle Church by walking or driving past Kirkharle Courtyard over the cattle grid. 5 mins walk from the Courtyard. St Oswald's Way passes within around 2 miles of St Wilfrid's Church.
|St Wilfred's Church is a venue for...|
|Open at all times.|
Hover your cursor over the symbol see the facility name or view the key to facility symbols.