We look forward to welcoming you to Kielder Water & Forest Park. Please see our Know Before You Go page for lots of useful information including important details on access to routes following storm damage.
Nestled in the Kielder Water and Forest Park in Northumberland, Kielder Observatory is a spectacular experience for all the family. Sited in the largest gold tier-protected dark sky park in the whole of Europe, the stargazing can be breathtaking: the ‘Kielder moment’ is very special, the moment that visitors look up at the glittering skies and realise that they’re completely connected to this vast cosmos, yet utterly unique within it.
Like the deck of a ship sailing above the landscape, the Observatory provides astronomers with a permanent facility in the heart of Northumberland. It is part of the art and architecture programme that has turned Kielder Water and Forest Park into an open-air gallery over the last 10 years.
The observatory hosts events to suit everyone: there are family events to entertain young explorers; relaxed events for people with different abilities; introductory events; legends behind the constellations events; and events focusing on phenomena such as the aurora, our moon, dark matter, and exoplanets.
Access to the Observatory is for ticket-holders only: booking is essential and can be done via the website. The access track is 2 miles long, uncased and single lane so is only opened for events one hour before to ensure traffic up and down the track is managed properly – you can walk up to the Observatory during the day and enjoy the spectacular views but there are no facilities available during the day. Skyspace, a circular room which is illuminated by a combination of natural and artificial light at different times of the day, can also be accessed via the track to the Observatory. During dawn and dusk, the changing light conditions create a rich and unforgettable display of tone and colour.
Kielder Observatory — a beacon for dark skies. Come and find your infinite inspiration.
|Type||Entry for||Guide price|
(Main evening event)
Please be aware all children under 16 yrs must be accompanied by an adult, all of whom must have a ticket.
Tickets must be booked in advance and we often sell out early, so please check our website for availability and to book: https://kielderobservatory.org/our-events
Kielder Observatory - Charles Barclay Architects is a venue for...
Kielder Observatory - Charles Barclay Architects is part of Kielder Art and Architecture and so are...
- Minotaur - Nick Coombe and Shona Kitchen 2003, Kielder (Garden)
- Janus Chairs Viewpoint, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Cat Cairn: the Kielder Skyspace - James Turrell 2000, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Kielder Observatory - Charles Barclay Architects, Kielder (Science and Technology)
- Kielder Column - John Maine 1999, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Silvas Capitalis - SIMPARCH 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Janus Chairs - Ryder Architecture 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Viewpoints - Tania Kovats 1998, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Mapping mini golf, Kielder (Sightseeing and Leisure)
- Shadow - Julia Barton 1995, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Freya's Cabin - Studio Weave 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Belvedere - Softroom Architects 1999, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- 55-02 - Sixteen (makers) 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Wave Chamber - Chris Drury 1996, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Stell - Colin Wilbourn 2006, Falstone (Great Outdoors)
Kielder Observatory Facebook
Follow us on TwitterTweets by kielder_obs
Kielder Observatory - Charles Barclay Architects on Twitter
- @braunholtz Hi Rosie, apologies our web team are working to reinstate the website now. In the mean time feel free t… https://t.co/2riJvYtWNN15 May at 13:44
- Tomorrow morning at around 1:30 a lunar eclipse will begin! If you have a good south western horizon you will see t… https://t.co/iz8qx4EnIG15 May at 09:28
- @ReeceSTEM - check out the engineering skills!11 May at 19:45
- Great to see Star Groups in full swing! https://t.co/nfC3ENaXUC11 May at 15:03
- And if you want to know more about what it's like working with us, then check out this video of Finn, one of our te… https://t.co/rSD9J6pYuv11 May at 11:03