A site of Christian worship since the 11th century or earlier, the chancel and south transept date from the late 15th century. Church restored by John Dobson of Newcastle in 1860.
The great treasure of the church is the ancient stone relief of the adoration of the Magi set in the wall north of the chancel arch. The churchyard has the grave of renowned social reformer Josephine Butler (1828 – 1906), also World War II graves of young airmen from nearby Milfield airbase, and a mausoleum to the Davidson family. Davidson was Chandler to Horatio Nelson – and his monument can be seen on top of the hill across the valley.
There is an excellent historic hillfort walk from the church – Yeavering Bell. Also nearby is Ad Gefrin, just east along the River Glen, a 6th century palace of the Kings of NOrthumbria, where Paulinus, a Roman missionary and the first Bishop of York, baptised a great number of Anglo-Saxon tribes people in the 7th century.